music( #, [fade-length], [channel-mask] )
# = the number of the song in the music editor.
fade-length = (optional) a number, in milliseconds (default 0), to fade-in the music - increase the volume over this amount of time.
channel-mask = (optional) reserves channels for music (#0-15).
Note: SFX can still play on reserved channels but only if specifically designating the channel number with
music( 1 )
- play music pattern #1, on an unoccupied channel
music( 3, 1000 )
- play music pattern #3, and fade-in for 1 second
music( 4, 3000, 1 )
- play music pattern #4, fade-in for 3 seconds, and reserve channel #0 for music
Important to know:
- A music pattern is simply one or more SFX patterns set to play in specific channels at the same time.
- There are only 4 channels and each channel can play only 1 SFX pattern at a time.
- You can only play 1 music pattern at a time (using up to 4 channels).
- The channels that the music pattern will use are set in the music editor.
- Playing an SFX will use the lowest available channel, unless the channel is specified.
- Using the channel-mask argument to reserve a channel for music does not affect which channels music plays on but does affect which channels are available for SFX to play on.
Extra Option using a Negative Number:
|-1||Stop the current music.|
music( -1 )
- stop the currently playing music pattern
Reserving multiple channels:
The channel-mask option does not take channel numbers like
sfx() does. Instead, the channel-mask is a value that represents one or more channel numbers.
|Channel #||Mask Value #|
The default channel-mask value is 0, no channels reserved for music.
To reserve multiple channels, you simply add the mask values together. For example, if we want to reserve channels 2 and 3 for music, then we take channel #2's value of 4 and channel #3's value of 8. Then we add them together: 4 + 8 = 12. So
music( 0, 0, 12 ) will play pattern 0 and reserve channels 2 and 3 for music.
Let's flip the above table and list all the channel-mask values in order and see which channels each value will reserve:
|Value #||Channel #s|
|3||0 , 1|
|5||0 , 2|
|6||1 , 2|
|7||0 , 1 , 2|
|9||0 , 3|
|10||1 , 3|
|11||0 , 1 , 3|
|12||2 , 3|
|13||0 , 2 , 3|
|14||1 , 2 , 3|
|15||0, 1, 2, 3|
music( 1, 0, 6)
- play music pattern #1, without fade-in, and reserve channels 1 and 2 for music.
18 May 2023